Start writing the first chapter of your book today...
Have you always wanted to get your story on paper but never had the chance to? Do you have a brilliant idea for a book that will change the world? Do you find yourself spacing out at work, dreaming of characters that float in and out of a Haruki Murakami novel and a Buzzfeed article? Awesome. This community-based writing class is specifically designed for writers of all abilities, especially beginners (including people who hear the word blog and have a panic attack).
3 curated evenings of creative writing, delicious homemade food, and passionate community.
Reignite your love of writing and create a daily writing practice
Find your creative voice (and how to use it)
Learn powerful storytelling techniques and tools for improving your craft
Practice writing with creative prompts and exercises
Connect 1-on-1 with other writers, get feedback on your work, and build your audience
Write the first chapter of your book (and commit to a plan to finish writing your book!)
About the facilitator:
Smiley Poswolsky is a writer and a lover of life. He recently finished his first book, The Quarter-Life Breakthrough, a guide for millennials to find meaningful work, which has been pre-ordered in 38 countries. Smiley writes stories about purpose-driven people who are making a difference in their communities. His writing has been published in Forbes, Fast Company, GOOD, The Huffington Post, The Hairpin, and Thought Catalog. He has facilitated community-building workshops at Hive Global Leaders Program, Bold Academy, and Camp Grounded, and leads a weekly creative writing workshop for incarcerated youth in San Francisco.
Class 1 – February 26, 2014 (6:00 PM- 9:00 PM) // Connect
1. Replace your inner-critic with your inner-voice
2. Practice 1-on-1 and group storytelling
3. Embrace fear and cultivate your writing practice
(In between Class 1 & 2, participants will complete daily writing exercises. Suggested reading will also be provided for inspiration. Time commitment: 2-3 hours/week)
Class 2 – March 5, 2014 (6:00 PM- 9:00 PM) // Create
1. Design your book’s mission, scope, and structure.
2. Get feedback on your writing and learn tools for improving your craft.
3. Structure and accountability to complete the first chapter of your book.
(In between Class 2 & 3, participants are expected to write a chapter of their book. Time commitment: 5+ hours a week)
Class 3 – March TBD, 2014 (6:00 PM- 9:00 PM) // Celebrate
1. Showcase your book’s first chapter to the Passion CO. community
2. Commit to an action plan for how you will write the rest of your book.
3. Discuss tools for distribution of your book including traditional publishing, self-publishing, and crowdfunding.
4. Promote your book to up to 2,000 people through the Passion CO. blog.